I've been surfing everyone's blogs, especially through the holidays, and I even have many photos to share, but I have been very lazy. Not wanting to do much of anything, just going through the motions it seems.
Today, my boss, imagine that, shared a quote that was an epiphany for me. You will think it stupid and simple. One of those DUH moments that is so logical you'll ask, "What?"
Anyhow, One of my recent frustrations has been the progress I seem to be making at helping my 1st graders read. I have way WAY too many students in need of some severe change of my teaching tactics, trying to help them understand how reading works. It's like finding the perfect shoe for each kid and they all have special feet.
So here was the simple idea. Our brain can grow when we are older (past that 12-18 malleable stage). We have to challenge it to grow, but we like the comfortable feeling of adulthood, accepting responsibility and living with what works, right. BUT, any time something is a little to stressful or frustrating, we give it up, because that isn't pleasant, right. THINK about it. I don't really enjoy golfing because I'm not good, and I get frustrated that I can't seem to understand what I am doing wrong. That frustration time is when our brain is stretching, LEARNING, growing. When we really pay attention and focus our energy on learning the new thing, we are gaining "brain". This is what keeps us fresh, young, from becoming ailing. This is why the old geezers who sky dive are happier and healthier, they are stretching their brain (something we all thought was "set in stone".
Well, I'm going to look at the frustrations in my life as learning opportunities rather that stumbling blocks. I
know that we do that with trials, or others remind us to, but now I know that my simple frustrations with others are helping me to learn, not just get them to MY WAY OF THINKING. (I know, I told you it was simple and I'm selfish)
It also means that my frustration at work isn't just with "struggling students" it's with a teacher (myself) who is learning more about how/why students learn.
Whew, this self evaluation and metacognition can be tiring and boring.
So, the newest kid saying, before I forget. "Oh, Mrs. Holmes, is that you. You sneaked up behind me and I didn't recognize you until I felt your grandma arms." S---
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have heard from plenty of people what a good teacher you are, and I remember when I was your aide, I thought you were great. I hope you are having a better day. Love you.
To the BEST teacher in the world! You deserve a lot of praise for your determination and perseverance. You do so much good. Don't forget that! I wish all teachers were as dedicated as you are. Love,Wendy
Post a Comment