Thursday, July 17, 2008

My latest project ;-)

Nickole,
Here it is. I am going to finish the hemming, especially the top eyelet layer with large flat eyelet, to give the bottom a scalloped finish.



I love the tucks in the under sleeves, and I think the bodice looks fitted, even with the elastic at the bust. I need to finish off the neck with a little hand sewing, but wanted you to see what I've done so far.




My machine is acting awful. I can't get it to sew without skipping stitches. I replaced the needle. Rethreaded a million times. Worked for hours on the tension, top and bottom. Thouroughly cleaned it. AAAAAAGH. So, the dress has taken quite a while. I haven't had instructions because the dress is a mix of two patterns plus the photo we found, so consequently I bet (honestly) I've sewn two seams, then taken out one. Sigh. Eveyone in the house is avoiding me 'cause I can't get it quite right, then when I do they breathe a sigh of relief.

I am very pleased that I tried french seams because I didn't want the underdress to hae cr-tch h---s after washing, plus the eyelet top dress is fine, almost batiste, quite sheer, so the fraying would have been horrible. I didn't french seam the arm hole, but I believe I'll serge it after it is all finished, so finish that seam off nicely.

I want to fix the band at the bust with two small buttons, that way the band can be adjustable. I think I've got it licked. Dad helped me adjust Sue so that I can hem it now, I had you as tall as Dad, he noticed it, which helped, I thought I'd cut the dress too short. Now the hem can be quite decent, at least 2.5".

I HOPE it comes close to what you want and doesn't look homemade. I love it so far.

PS. Stupid to be excited, but, TRULY the best zipper I've ever done, and it's an invisible one.

2 comments:

Nickole -n- Kye said...

Yeah that's my mom. She's amazing!!!

Mandy said...

I am so super glad that you stalk me, cuz I stalk you too!!!

Beautiful Dress!!! I Love it. Good job!!!