Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pain & Hope

I'm sitting tonight at the island with a toothache. I've had it for 4-5 weeks, and I keep "dealing" with it. Luckily I was able to have my dentist look at it yesterday to determine what we should really do, I knew I needed a root canal, that seems to be all I do any time I go in, drop $500-1000 and pretend it's no BIG DEAL RIGHT!!!!!!! Merry Christmas to the family is how I feel. I'm also on a pain pill again tonight, because it's really hurting, so I'm emotional, feeling gratitude and love to my family, yet I'm on a pity party too.

I'm feeling like a total screwup as a mother, yet I really feel like I'm learning from my mistakes, and trying HARD to do better at things. I'm really trying to have good attitude about tithing, attending church as a widow without complaint or (even harder) resentment. Sunday, suddenly in the sacrament song, I just began crying over nothing. Sometimes it's too much, too hard, and I felt really sorry for myself. Stupid. I'm trying to impress upon my daughters honestly why I go, and that we will all benefit from the gospel. I'm trying hard to talk with the girls, not yell, and listen, really listen. I know girls and Mike, that I don't listen well. My mind is racing with the next thoughts, so I am BAD at listening. Thankfully they don't give me grief anymore about going, they want their dad to go, and realize he'll not go if we hate it. So, hopefully they'll listen at appreciate the lessons their leaders have prepared. I know when we are teenagers it's hard to listen, learn, and apply it to our lives without judging others around us. My girls do make it easier to want to live better, to study scriptures, have family night, and attend the temple. I love them for that. Family should help you be better than you were yesterday.

So I HAVE to share the cutest thing I've heard this year. It was from J-------. He is the cutest little dark headed boy, smart, smiling, and happy. He's always (ALWAYS) watching me to see how I react to him. He beams if I wink at him, or smile at him. He will often walk up to me, just to hug me and say "I love you Mrs. Holmes." Today, he got up from the carpet, stood in front of me to say, with his arms emphatically dropping at his side with EVERY word.
"Mrs. Holmes.
Guess What...
My Grandma
Believes
(breathes in, eyes are HUGE)
IN GOD!!!"""

"Wow!" I respond.
"Really? I do too." and I touch his shoulder.

"Really?" He smiles a quirky smile and walks to his seat.

Then, can you believe it, I am SO SO SO ANGRY at myself, do you know what I honestly asked myself? "Will I get in trouble for saying that?"
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.

I HOPE they fire me for it. I'd love to make up for the small second guessing I had on myself by publicly announcing that I Believe in Christ!
Amy is right. That is what is wrong with today's society. We won't bring him into our lives and conversations afraid of offending others, rather than celebrating him. I don't know how much this child knows about God, if his mother and dad believe in God, if he believes in God. Does he know HE is a child of God?

So tomorrow, I am LUCKY. I get this tooth fixed, get to drop the money I DON'T have and then I'll be set for another 6 months until the other one. (Maybe I should get hooked on meth. I'll lose weight, and maybe all these teeth, and not have to worry about my job anymore.) NAAAAHH, probably not a good plan.

4 comments:

Nickole -n- Kye said...

Mom, get real, you're not a bad mother. Come on, if ALL families on this earth were "perfect lovey dovey" ALL the time, what would be the purpose of us being here. You are a great example of keeping the Gospel in our lives, even when it's hard. How much easier do you think it would have been for Kye and I to just not do the temple? To not worry about it so to speak. It would have saved him and me a lot of heartache with his mom. It sure would have saved all those who came down a TON of time and money. You're the one who got us there, we saw your example, even in adversity. Think of the joy that we have that Marty and AnnDee will NEVER have until they go to the temple. Mom you either need to get off the pain meds because SERIOUSLY, you're doing great. Yeah, there are somethings that are dumb, but you know what it's because I'm your kid and I still see you as mom, not as Fawn Holmes. It's like you told me, think of the blessings you have now, and the ones you have that you would be NO WHERE without. Don't focus on the ones that aren't there NOW. I love you mom, I "mich" you more than anything in the whole world and I hope you know that you and Grandma are my BEST friends in the WHOLE world!

Josh and Kristen said...

It's like you've commented on one of my past blogs, don't be so hard on yourself! You are awesome. I have always admired the way you sincerely show an interest in me and my family. I know that life gets crazy, but I know your girls have experienced that same sincerity. "J" will probably remember for the rest of his life that his first grade teacher believed in God. Think of what an influence that might be. The fact that you worried about your job is only a sign of the times. I love you and I am so grateful for you and for the way you have always been willing to help me when I've called, and let me know that you really do care.

Mandy said...

I love you. Can I just tell you that??? I think you are amazing and I love your guts.

Speaking of loving someone... I freaking love little Spencer. He is the BEST! I would do anything for him, so don't hesitate to ask!!!! REALLY!!! You daughter left the sweetest comment on my blog about him. Really, you guys... it is my total pleasure to be his friend.

Wendy Kremin said...

Fawn, you are the BEST! We all have thoughts like you did about the consequences of doing good, but the important thing is YOU DID IT without thinking about the "politically correct" thing to say beforehand. Hurrah! You just said what you know and that is what will count to Him. I hope you feel better soon. :( I'm sorry about your tooth but you better get it taken care of. I love you! WEndy