Thursday, April 24, 2008

The longest/shortest 3 weeks!!!!!!

I'm delayed in announcing some important news for Natalie, but it really has been crazy around here.
Natalie has always loved dancing. She has been thinking about trying out for drill team for Uintah for a few years, especially since she knew some friends would want to try out too. But, a few weeks ago, she decided, "Hey, I think cheerleading is more of what I want." After a LONG week of learning new dances, cheers, routines, and showing what she could do,tryouts were on a Thursday afternoon. Thursday night, was long, sleep was awful for this mother. Friday was worse, the cheerleading team wouldn't be posted until 5:00. (how can we pass the time........) 4:30 came, we went to Grandma K's (she always helps the nerves). Oh well, why delay the inevitable. I took my camera, then thought better of it. As we pulled into the high school Natalie said, "Now mom, don't say anything. If I don't make it, just be quiet. Don't say, 'You can try next year.' or 'It's ok.' Mom don't say anything, OK?" "OK" My stomach was flipping. My prayer got more desperate.
Please God,
I want her to feel good about herself. I want her to have experiences that help her grow and become a better person. Please God, help her deal well with whatever comes. That's what is important. How can I stress that. Happiness is made, not found. (Why is this so hard to watch. It doesn't get easier with each kid like I thought. This is as painful as when Nickole was in HS. (I hope that's ok Nicky))
We get in front of the HS and we see girls sitting on the curb, next to the doors.
"Do you want to come later?"
"NO, let's just get it over with."
(Should I take the camera, should I leave it. I'll leave it, we can pose later to be safe.)
She walks straight to the door, I follow, hoping to see her turn around smiling. But, she doesn't. She just stands there. Then I hear, "Did you make it?" from the girls on the curb.
Natalie turns, Smiles a cheesy grin, and thumbs up. They snap a picture.
WHEW. I think I used and entire stick of deoderant on that event!!!!
How fun it was to have Natalie share her news with others, and to hear their excitement for her.
How thoughtful and nice it was that by Saturday evening Carolyn called to congratulate Natalie, amidst all her pain and trouble. Really really special.
Then, we didn't have much time to breathe, because Natalie had a dance competition for her jazz class. It was at Taylorsville High, the next Friday. WOW. Those girls kicked butt. I mean it. They were great and took OVERALL for their entire category. WOWW!!!!!
Now Natalie and Matt S. have been practicing like crazy for their DECA competition in Atlanta, GA. They'll be gone from Friday to Wednesday. Their paper is awesome. They even improved it from state. They have rehearsed their presentation, need a little more practice, but that's just to soothe the nerves. They'll do great. They are getting to stay at The Coke World, CNN Center. I teased that I hope to see her on the news, maybe running behind the anchorman, not as a story in the news.
Well, we'll be glad for a breather, but Mike reminded me this morning, that next Saturday is the Lagoon competition. BREATHE!!!! She enjoys it. And feels good about it.
I am so touched by the people who have recognized Natalie for her effort. It was hard, fun, and something she was excited to do.
PS. Not to embarrass her but, I am MOST proud of her grade improvement in school. I KNOW that has been the hardest part. WAHOO for good grades.

No comments: